Let's talk about Rhys' tattoos for a second.

Rhys has two different tattoos that we've seen so far. One on his neck, which appears to be a cybernetic thing, but then there's a second one. On his chest, it's blue.

What's going on there?

Comments

• edited April 2015

SirenRhys2k15

(as far as the blue tattoos go, at least)

Because it's late at night and I took nyquil, I can't explain my reasoning nearly as eloquently as I'd like, so let me refer you to these two lovely tumblr posts that can english far better than I at the moment: post 1 and post 2. I'll probably be back to add my own thoughts in the morning when I can 100% brain again.

(In light of the situation, I'm proud to say it only took me three tries to spell 'eloquently.' Damn, that nyquil is like a cherry-flavored punch to the brain)

• Rhys can't be a siren.

Spetzio posted: »

SirenRhys2k15 (as far as the blue tattoos go, at least) Because it's late at night and I took nyquil, I can't explain my reasoning nea

• elaborate plz :3

Gary-Oak posted: »

Rhys can't be a siren.

• Alt text

Did you even read the links?

Gary-Oak posted: »

Rhys can't be a siren.

• Hello, I'd just thought I'd give my own thoughts on this:

First off: The comic books are not canon. Only in-game material is canon. Anthony Burch, a writer for Borderlands 2 and the lead writer for Borderlands The Pre-Sequel has confirmed this. (Source)

Secondly: There can only be female sirens in universe. In-game material supports this heavily.

Thirdly: Rhys cannot be a siren as his tattoo do not match those of one. A siren's tattoos seem more drawn in to the cleavage and swirl around each other. Rhys' tattoos are more drawn outward away from his chest in singular lines.

Alt text

Alt text

My own theory? They're burn tattoos. As shown at the ending of The Pre-Sequel, it is possible for people to receive scars from Vault relics if the process is disrupted. The best example, and most prominent one, is Handsome Jack from Lilith.

Again, just my theory.

• edited April 2015

Oh I feel your pain.. I don't even remember how many times I have misspelled word "miscellaneous"

..it hurts every time..

And back to topic, No Rhys is not a siren, that would be way too silly and just no.

Spetzio posted: »

SirenRhys2k15 (as far as the blue tattoos go, at least) Because it's late at night and I took nyquil, I can't explain my reasoning nea

• Looks like we need Shirtless Rhys for Episode 3

ShirtlessRhysForCatchARide

• Also nipple ring

just saying

Poogers555 posted: »

Looks like we need Shirtless Rhys for Episode 3 ShirtlessRhysForCatchARide

• Rhys cant be a siren

Quote from a greabox employee from the old gearbox forums called HellFace, just scroll down until you see the person with the orange name.

Link to it: http://oldforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=381881&page=5

There are no male Sirens. There are no secret hidden male sirens. Male sirens cannot exist. One day, perhaps you will find out why that is, but not today. That's not a man, anyway.

• edited April 2015

That one on his neck has nothing to do with his cybernetics after all, as it turned out according to the cosplayers guide:

Rhys' tattoo was designed to show that there was more to him than just a typical Hyperion cog. While his outfit looks cool-guy Hyperion, his techy arm shows off his inner nerd.

The one on the chest just became very intriguing. Like,very as it wasn't mentioned in the guide he must've recieved it in the latter episodes. So wwrstvo0 can be right.

• You make a good point! My sirenRhys comment was more wishful thinking than anything else. Imagine that dork as one of the most powerful beings on pandora. I guess we'll never know unless TT decides to give us shirtless Rhys... ;D.

I do like your theory a lot though! My only thinking is that Jack's burn mark from Lilith was more deeply carved into his face, while Rhys' marks look more flat. It could be really interesting if he did receive those post whatever happens in the Vault of the Traveler (probably from touching something powerful and expensive that shouldn't be touched). I dunno, and that's the fun part! :D

wwrstvo0 posted: »

Hello, I'd just thought I'd give my own thoughts on this: First off: The comic books are not canon. Only in-game material is canon. Antho

Sign in to comment in this discussion.